Spaghetti aglio e olio



Spaghetti aglio e olio
This is one of the easiest pasta recipes you will ever make and it taste fabulous! Growing up my mom never made this dish neither did my Italian Grandmother not sure why.  They are both gone and I wish I could ask them.  Many years ago I started to take an interest in cooking mainly out of necessity.  My wife was a nurse and worked weekends.  The kids would ask what’s for dinner dad.  So I started trying my hand at cooking.  The first meal I made was fried chicken!  After that I was always looking for something different to cook.  But back to “Spaghetti aglio e olio” my wife and I would order this as a side when eating at Italian restaurants, now this is a staple in our house.  I would bet you have all the ingredients in your kitchen right now.  You will need spaghetti, garlic, and olive oil.  That’s it! All you do is start your pasta water (remember to salt the water after it starts boiling) pour olive oil (olio) in a skillet add very thin slices of garlic (aglio) and sauté very slow on a low temperature do not burn the garlic.  I also add a little sea salt.  This should only take about 10 to 15 min. How much oil and garlic? Well for my wife and me cooking about 3 oz of pasta I would say about 2 oz oil and one clove of garlic. I don’t measure but taste as you go you need enough oil to coat the pasta. That’s the base recipe but I generally add a few more ingredients. I like to add some or all of the following: red pepper flakes, chopped fresh parsley, pecorino cheese, Italian bread crumbs.  In fact almost anything goes. I have even added a few capers.  So tomorrow night make your version of that wonderful dish from Naples “Spaghetti aglio e oil”!

At TheUpScaleKitchen we are always searching for new recipes and tips to share.  Some recipes are from our family some we find while researching topics for our blog.  We want to hear about your experiences please leave your comments below.
Tell us about your version of “aglio e olio”.  What did you serve this with? Also please like us on facebook, follow us on Twitter. 

Comments