Quick Red Sauce

Quick Red Sauce
This sauce is the basis of all my red sauce (gravy if you’re Italian)
I only needed a small amount so I started with 5 cups of tomato sauce.  I buy  # 10 cans and freeze what I don’t use.  Try different brands find one you like and stick with it.  This sauce also has no meat so it’s perfect for vegetarian dishes like eggplant parm.
5 Cups your favorite plain tomato sauce
2 cups water, enough to clean out measuring cup
3-4 cloves garlic chopped
4-5 baby bellas mushrooms sliced
1 tbs dried parsley
1 tbs dried basil
1 tsp garlic salt 
1 onion (you decide how much onion you want I never know the size of a medium onion)
Sauté onion until it starts to turn brown.  Add mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper.  Taste as you go.  Cook until mushrooms are starting to soften I like mine a little firm.  Add sauce water and about half of the dry ingredients.  Cook for about 1 hour tasting and adding more dried spices as needed. Simmer until you are ready to serve.
I serve this tasty sauce over my favorite ravioli Giovanni Ranna. Buon Appetito!





Comments