I Love Cooking With Wine

I love Cooking With Wine
I’m sure I’m like a lot of home cooks that like to add wine to many dishes.  I was looking at a recent article from Bon Appetit about cooking with wine so I thought I would share a few important points.
  • This seems obvious but don’t use red wine when the recipe calls for white.  White can be reduced more than red if red is reduced to much it will become bitter.
  • They recommend reducing red no more than 50 percent.
  • The cost is not that important by the time everything is done you won’t be able tell expensive from low cost.
  • But they say the type is import.  For example I use a Sauvignon Blanc for most of my chicken dishes and Merlot for meat dishes. 
  • If the recipe calls for “dry red” use Merlot.
  • It is always a safe bet to cook with a wine you would drink and don’t buy wine advertised as “cooking wine” it contains additives that could influence the final dish.

Comments